View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja1980
Thanks guys!

So when you guys have your car running and you "listen" to your oil cap, yours is silent, correct? I only ask because I just read a few other threads that say the hissing noise is supposed to be there... so now I'm really confused.

I'm now wondering if I got a CEL because the oil cap was in the half-closed position and NOT allowing air in. I left it in the fully-closed position when I discovered it half-closed last week, and the CEL since turned off.

I'll still try to pull the codes and post them here. I think we have a dry week coming up next week, so hopefully I'll have the car out again then.

There is supposed to be some slight suction (and an accompanying hissing noise) there. If there is extreme suction (this is starting to sound funny ) then that is an indication that your AOS is failing. In that case, it will be very difficult to pull the oil cap off the tube.

If the oil cap was in the half-closed position, that would allow unmetered air into the system and thereby throw a CEL. If you tightened it correctly and the seal is good, then the DME will turn off the CEL after a few drive cycles because there is no longer an air leak.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote