View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:18 AM   #13
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
My top plastic window cracked this winter also. Guess there's a window virus running around. I got an estimate from the Porsche dealership to replace the plastic...$1000, ouch. Went down the street to top shop, he's done 3 so far this year...$450, reasonable. While at the Porsche dealership, I asked about the glass window and I was actually speaking to a mechanic who was replacing an issue like mine. When you need to service the engine they actually have to remove the top because the glass window will not clear like the plastic, which adds more cost if you ever need to use a dealer. Food for thought here.
That's not food for thought. That's just incorrect information given to you by your dealer. They take the whole top and frame off because they can charge you more labor and because they are not crafty enough to figure out how to get around a small issue. Yes, the aftermarket glass tops give you less access to the engine because they don't fold up as much due to the 3-bow framed roof that it is put on, but it still has plenty of room to get to the engine if they know how to get the back of the window to stay up. This is easily done by using a rope or strap to tie it up. See below pic of aftermarket Robbins top that comes with such a strap:

If you get an 03 or 04 OEM top with the 4-bow frame (which allows better folding of the window), it opens up in the engine service position just like the 03 and 04 cars, without any restriction, and the glass window is held up with a built in strap that is much more integrated than the aftermarket strap solution. Here's my 03 top in the open position when I changed out my dirty air filter:

IMO, no matter how you cut it, getting glass (whether OEM or aftermarket) is the way to go. It allows you to never again have to worry if it's too cold out to put the top down, you never have to get out of the car to make sure the window folds right, you never have to polish the window to make sure it stays soft and without scratches, less risk of vandalism damage with glass, while also updating the look of the car.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote