View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Since we are on noob questions... can you guys give me a few driving tips?

I usually let go of clutch slowly (suck if you want to make traffic light race )
If let go of clutch faster car struggles a bit and dies..

I try to keep it at 2500-4500 RPM (I slide closer to 2k in 2nd gear in stop and go traffic). There are times when I keep it at 4000RPM for 10-15 min.. is it ok? or should I upshift?

Any other good tips?

Also.. I noticed that today my car heated more then usually while staying in traffic.
How do I check if cooling fans are running or not? I read it might be a cause for that.

Thanks
Sasha
There's nothing wrong with sustained high rpms but your gas mileage will suck. Make sure engine is warm first too. Why are you driving at 4,000 rpm for 10-15 minutes....are you cruising at 100 mph? Back to the clutch thing, I would try another Boxster and compare it to yours. I don't know your previous experience with cars so I'm just going to throw this out there. The clutch is supposed to be stiffer than say the clutch in your typical 4 cylinder econo car so it's hard to say if it's just you or if the clutch is overly stiff. Have you driven many other performance sports cars with sticks? They don't have soft clutch pedals typically. On the temp and fans, if the temp isn't getting hotter than say 200 degrees then they are working. You should be able to hear the aux fan kick on in traffic on a hot day. Oh and welcome to the board.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote