View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
Rdward

Camshaft Green Seal Leaking

Recently purchased a 99 Boxster one owner, 5 speed with 106k. Really good price = expected problems. CEL was on when I bought the car and these were the codes: 0300,0304,0305,0306, and 1324. After searching here and a few other forums I came to the conclusion that the issue was in the variocam tensioner. I was hoping that is was the solenoid due to this was the easier of my options, however I expected it was the chain guides. It ended up being the guides on the 4-6 side had worn all the way through and the chain had been riding on the metal of the tensioner, also the chain had jumped one tooth. Tensioner replaced along with guides and chain, went ahead and did the 1-3 side which the chain was about to work it's way through the guides too. Also did some other PM work while I was at it: spark plugs, tubes and seals, water pump, thermostat, blah.. blah.. blah.. Needless to say I replaced allot of things that have nothing to do with this post.

I got the car all back together yesterday and started it for the first time. Everything sounded good until I backed the car out of the garage and saw the puddle of oil. Apparently the oil pressure is forcing one of the green cam plugs out of the cover( all the green caps are new). This is only happening on 1 cap and it's on the 1-3 intake side. The pressure seems to be so strong that I can hardly hold it in by hand. My only thoughts is that some how I got some sealant where it didn't belong while reassembling the cam cover. It is a tight work area with the engine in the car so this is likely. Has anyone seen anything like this before.

I have also posted this on the Renntech forum with no responses a few days ago.
Thanks for any responses in advance.
Rdward is offline   Reply With Quote