View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
willd

Idle speed erratic / going topless

Hey all

Well, it's been a long porscheless winter here, when the car went out of action in November, it was a crazy busy time for me so I just parked it up on the drive and left it for a few months (Yes, I now know it's not a good idea, especially during a UK winter).

So anyway I get the car collected and my local guy looks at it, tells me the fuel pump was what the problem was (a mild good feeling as that's what I diagnosed when it happened), anyway lah-de-dah £XXX later the car is running again.

So, here are my remaining problems;

- The engine is idling 'all over the place'. It's anywhere from 900-1200 a couple of seconds somewhere in-between, then up for a few seconds, stutter a tiny bit, down, up etc. It's acting like the petrol isn't good petrol....if that makes sense? Or something.....
Anyhow today I used the good weather to follow one of Pedros guides, I took apart the throttle components, and cleaned them up (not as easy as Pedro makes out and I would definitely reccomend having a magneteic tool thing as he says ). There were some slight deposits in the throttle valve, and a slight amount of coke/carbon/whatever in other places. But considering it's done 102k miles, I was expecting worse.
I was going to take the MAF sensor out but realised you need security star-shaped things to get it off, I didn't have any, so it'll have to wait.
Anyhow the cleaning didn't alter the random idle speed at all, even after warming it up with a drive. It might just be psycho-sematic (don't quote me on the spelling) but the car seemed to have more life in it then pre-cleaning the throttle components.
So, now I'm a bit stuck. I used to have a BMW330i, and on that over 2 years, the pre-cat, post-cat, oil temp, crank-shaft, and crack speed sensors all went which all affected the drive. I don't know where to start on the Boxster....the MAF seems easiest

- And then my second problem. Before I abandoned the car for the winter (i.e. before I started my own mould farm), the roof got stuck. I had to disconnect everything and it's been a manual effort ever since.
I've checked the switch which lies at the back of the soft-top, a lever like affair, seems ok. The switch in the dash is ok too. Now seeing as there are two motors (I am correct in that I assume?) I'm assuming one would work whilst one didn't, fi one had died.
The relays are all fine, the fuses are all fine.......

Any ideas on the above?

Thanks!!

willd is offline   Reply With Quote