View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #17
ekam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I'm older so to my experience a Sports Car is a very specific and narrowly defined thing. Thats what Sports Cars were when I became driving age and that's what I always think of when someone says Sports Car.

This usually meant balance, lightness, handling and braking over power. It also usually meant a minimum of creature comforts - the comfort was in the driving, not the cupholders, stereo, traction control and digital doowhackys.

It also meant that it wasn't created for, or marketed to, everybody. It was a daily driver for only the most Hard Core. Taking an Infinity GXX and rebadging it a 350Z 'Sports Car' is exactly the opposite of what a Sports Car used to mean.

In this light, the 986 is much closer to it's original vision than the 987 will ever be.

I could buy any Boxster on the market, but the only ones I'd ever own would be the 1st Gen 986.

Good thing for Porsche that not everyone shares my view.

Cheers!
Well people are getting dumber these days, they have to look at the TPMS to check tire pressure as supposed to the original method. They also need a computer to tell them when they need oil change.

I work in IT and even I hate all these computer crap overtaking cars!

Sorry my friend has a Superformance Cobra, no computers, no stability control, no airbags. You can put your arms over the door (you cannot do this anymore on modern cars because of increased safety). You need to learn how to drive it because there's no computer to safe your life.

For the same reason I kind of want a 356 Speedster, but my friends told me I already got a great car and should stop dreaming.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote