View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
eightsandaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
If they broke with heads on them, what makes you think an easy out is going to get them out? The best luck we had in machine shops is left hand drill bits. Most industrial supply houses will stock them. Be EXTREMELY careful center punching the bolts before drilling. Some poeple have had good luck using soldering guns to heat the bolt after drilling it. If you get it good and hot and then let it cool, it will crush itself inside the more solid metal, if you get the walls of the bolt drilled out thin enough.
Good luck.

Kurt,

"If the heads broke off what makes me think an extractor will work?"

Frankly, what other choices are there? Also, a good mechanic friend told me it's how to do it as well as another trusted source. Am I taking the job lightly? Hardly, I purchased all new drills, I'm studying as much information as I can find and then I'll execute the best I can. Besides, with material removed from the center of the bolt, it will eventually yield. Seems hitting dead center is key, I plan on using a graduated approach, punch mark, small bore hole, larger bore but not big enough to be near the threads. I also have mapp gas for heat and a metric tap and die should it come to that. I'm not intimidated by the job, yet I have a healthy respect for the fact that it's a more difficult endeavor than it first appears.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 03-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote