View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Benzito

Estimates for costs to remove convertible top?

Short version:

Does anyone have experience regarding the cost to remove the convertible top (this would include much of the mechanical bits / arms, not just the canvas? Reasons - see below...

Long version:

Steam was coming out my ears last night as I seriously f'd up my car. I think my wife might have been scared I would go Godzilla in the garage.

I bought a hardtop and thought I correctly installed the spinlocks and retaining bolts. I got the bolt in pretty darn close to all the way, but it was not quite enough. What I measured as clearance between the bolt and the metal armiture on the B-Pillar on the canvas top (the rounded pot metal part immediately behind the door / window) was off by a few millimeters. Rather than the canvas top simply stopping because of a blockage, I think the metal arm of the B Pillar grabbed the retaining bolt and pulled down the spinlock bracket. The entire piece is twisted out of whack and won't accept the pins from the hardtop. Not close to being in the normal vertical position.

Anyway, it seems to be a relatively easy fix once the top and the mechanical arm of the B Pillar are removed - either the spinlock piece must be R&R'd or welded back in place or it could simply need to be pushed back into the original vertical position with some pressure / prying / pulling / etc. Can't do it with top in the way, of course.

I doubt this problem has happened before and my local shop is willing to take a look at it. We both agreed that the smart thing to do first, as part of the estimate, is to get the top removed to access the bent metal bits. Hence my "short version" question above.

Many thanks in advance. Feel free to goof on me. 24 hours later, I'm still incredibly pissed off, but it is lessening little by little (could be worse - the top could have crapped out in the down position or half-way).

Mike in Portland

Edited for clarity ... ugly pictures to follow.

Last edited by Benzito; 02-26-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Benzito is offline   Reply With Quote