View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Dino

Enabled my OBC yesterday!

So I took my '01 Boxster S to the local stealership yesterday to have my OBC enabled. I had already wired in a FWL switch to a couple of Bosch relays and tapped into my gauge cluster. By the way, to all who have or will do this hack, most other DIYs on this say you cannot get the lights to work on the switch itself because of the way thew switch is wired. The answer is a simple $5 relay. Use the switch to trigger the relay to turn on a ground. That's how the factory installed switches work.

Anyways, my point was that the service manager (a very nice guy) had no idea of what I was speaking of. I may as well been speaking Martian. After several minutes of explanation, he called a service tech who said he didn't think it would work but he'd give it a try.

The verdict:

15 min later my pretty littler grey car was telling me that it was 37 degrees F outside, my average speed was well below what I had assumed, and that when my foot is on the floor, I'm getting about 9 MPG. (about 23-24 otherwise)

All in all, a pretty cool addition to the car.

Total cost:

about $100.

Stealership charged me $50 for activation
$30ish for FWL switch ( from Suncoast)
$10 for 2 bosch mini SPDT relays (eBay)
$4 for some diodes for the Shack (must use to keep relays from popping through speakers)
$3 for the VW molex wire (from Suncoast)
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote