View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
frogster

i've been living in switzerland for 26 years

i've been in switzerland since 1983 and i'm swiss. i think that maybe i can help answer some of your questions.
first, the prices you quote are way high. the market in switzerland is very different than in n. america. first off, the cars are more expensive new. a new panamera turbo is $180K in switzerland and $130K in the US.
second, the private sale used car market is practically non-existant. people take their cars to the dealers and get reamed. then the dealer reams the buyer. buyers trust the dealers and who knows why. anyway, i could write a book on the subject but not for here. short version is stay the heck away from dealers.
you state "Have been looking out for my first Box for my return." if i understand this to mean that you want to take a european boxster back to the US, don't bother. it is expensive and time consuming.
you also state that bringing a car from the US is not an option. it is actually the most easy but since you seem to be already established there, it might be taxed.
another poster mentions buying a car in germany. since switzerland is not in the EU then you will have to pay sales tax and duty and go through the hassle of importing the car. easier to buy the car locally.
if you want to buy a porsche from a private party, the best bet is to check out the local porsche clubs. how's your french and/or german? check out the "club porsche geneve, http://www.cpge.ch/ and club porsche romand (the french speaking part of switzerland) www.clubporscheromand.ch
i bought my 2000 boxster s new in june of 2000. it has 70,000 km on it and in a garage near geneva. i just moved to vancouver, canada a few months ago. i didn't want to sell the car and it was the beginning of winter which would of made it more difficult. i either have to wait 5 more years to bring it to canada or just keep it for summer travels to europe. or i would sell it to the right person. if it's something that interests you, pm me.
even if it doesn't, i'd be more than happy to answer questions you may have.
and i can tell you something, driving the alps in a porsche is about the most awesome thing you can do. i've done the stelvio pass and many, many others and it is just incredible.
frogster is offline   Reply With Quote