View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
CRCGuy

986 or M3 Cab in Switzerland-what would you do?

I'm currently living in Switzerland on a 2yr assignment. Have been looking out for my first Box for my return. Was leaning towards an early 987S. Turns out, I will now be taking a local contract and staying here a few more years. Problem is, cars are damn expensive here. on average, this is what you get for your money here (adjusted for exchange rate):

used late 986S: ~$30k
early 987S: ~$45k
late 987: ~$60k
late 987S: ~$75k
New 987S: ~ $100k+ (there's no such thing as "buying at "invoice" here--just tiny discounts from MSRP at best)

'01-'03 M3 Cab/Z4M: ~$35k

Apparently, Porsche's are very "special" here and priced accordingly. Even '06/07 911s run in the 90's with new ones around 160s (no, that's not for a turbo!). Bringing car over from USA not an option (don't ask...).

So I can get a nice M3 cab or Z4M for relatively cheap..but just not as passionate about them. The thought of spending 30k+ bucks on a 986 makes me want to barf when I can get so much more from BMW performance wise. I think it's just principle of the thing. the ultimate goal of my purchase is to spend my weekend driving roads like this before I die:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stelvio_Pass

Advice??? Would you bite the bullet and just get a 986? I suppose I could afford any of these, but not into spending my last penny on a car--not very responsible. I enjoy a pure driving experience with connection between man, machine and road. not sure if the BMWs will deliver that like a P-car. Oh, and I need the top to go down so I can enjoy the view

I guess there are worse and more important decisions one could be faced with in life. But I want to enjoy making this one before those other ones come around...

crcguy
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote