View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #20
Mark_T

Congrats on your great deal! Here's a couple of differing opinions for you (the great thing about forums!):

Firstly, the brake fluid. The reason for changing brake fluid is that it is a hygroscopic fluid (absorbs water over time) and this will of course affect the efficiency of the brakes. (so far we probably all agree). BUT, as the fluid absorbs water it gets darker in color, so if your fluid is still completely clear then you don't need to flush it, regardless of how long it may have been in there. (the part we likely don't all agree on, but I think changing things that are still good just because the service manual says so is a crock) If the fluid is starting to darken then, by all means, change it.

Secondly, the top. I just don't get why everyone is so hot to get the glass window "upgrade". It is smaller than the plastic window (less rear visiblilty), more expensive, and I really, really hate the orange defroster lines. I don't think that just replacing the window is a good idea - looks like crap no matter how well it is done. Replace the whole top with a good quality one. If you do have your heart set on the glass window you can buy a glass window top upgrade that will fit your existing frame.

I got my replacement top (plastic window) for my '99 from Prestige out of England for about 2/3 the price of GAHH and I am very happy with the fit and quality. Prestige is one of the few that can "weld" in the plastic window, unlike many aftermarket suppliers who just stich it in. You can do the replacement yourself if you are careful and slightly mechanicall inclined.

Good luck with your project!

Mark
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote