View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
... But if the base layer was chipped then the whole panel would need to be repainted...
You won't get that kind of damage on a 6 yr. old car, especially one which is clearcoated.

I mean that's what the clearcoat is for; to provide a protective barrier for the base coat from both UV and other environmentals such as Acid Rain. Plus, automotive paint finishes are really very tough.

Think about it, if the Acid Rain was truly that strong, people would be replacing the roofs on their houses at an even greater rate since asphalt shingling isn't nearly so tough, and the roof never gets to spend a night in the garage - it's constantly bombarded by whatever Mother Nature and Industry can throw at it, and they last 20 yrs. or more.

To get damage down through the clear as you describe, you'd practically have to pour full strength hydrochloric or sulphuric acid onto the paint and then let it sit.

Either the damage is not so great and the owner is just really persnickety, which comes through to me (NOTHING wrong with that!), or he's really not at all knowledgeable about car paint finishes and the dealership and paint shops smell this and are trying to get over on him - 'course we know they'd never try and do that!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-17-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote