View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
Quickurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Well, I could hardly care what people growing up wanting to buy.

It's an emotional decision so the person buying it wouldn't care if it costs more or it doesn't handle as well as whatever.

The fact that Porsche don't want anything to do with any racing teams that races Caymans says A LOT.
I've talked to a lot of Porsche insiders who all say Porsche is having a time keeping the 911 version car as their "Top of the Line." More and more people are complaining about having full Porsche options available for the Cayman, including engines up to and including the Turbo motor. There are not many World Class GT car enthusiasts who don't know mid engine is the way to go.
As far as performance and racing, if Porsche allows one team to compete on an even basis with the GT2, 3 or Cup cars using a Cayman platform, you can kiss the 997 car goodbye.
Here is an interesting article about the new HSR Cayman Interseries cars - http://www.guycosmo.com/cosmo-blog/2009/12/8/the-cayman-interseries-race-at-hsrs-sebring-fall-classic.html - "I'm sold - and you can bet I'll be convincing a lot of my coaching clients that this is the way to go - instead of buying GT3-Cup cars."
One of this series "deals" is you have to have an historic Porsche racing paint scheme - http://images.google.com/images?q=HSR+Cayman+INterseries+pics&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYE&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=X2t4S_LIO4uWtgeJlrzGCg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQsAQwAA

Don't get me wrong, Ekam, I've owned and loved several (4 actually) 911's
from a '66 up to a '78 and I think 993s, 996s and 997s are beautiful cars, but the mid engine design and balance are superior. MY '71 914-6 was definitely my favorite air cooled 6 Porsche, even though the 911s were a better all around car.
There is also a reason Grand AM will not allow Caymans. It's quite possible Porsche would pull support for Cup cars and they are a major draw to Grand Am events.

Last edited by Quickurt; 02-14-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote