View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
ChrisZang

Pictures won't do the project any justice. The console was dark plastic before and now it's covered with black leather. In pictures you can hardly tell the difference.
However the touch and feel of leather vs. plastic that's where you appreciate the job

Here is my "lessons learned" from the center console project (the arm rest and the door pull cover are simple in comparison)
a) you have to do it in steps, one area at a time. I worked my way from the passenger side of the console over to the driver's side.
In hindsight I should have started in the middle and worked my way down on both sides.

b) the console is very complex with many openings (duh). I wanted to make my work easier by already pre-cutting some of the openings after very carefully determining where the holes would go.
What I failed to include in my calculations is how much you must stretch the leather to fit perfectly, so it happened that one of my pre-cut openings (the one for the ash-tray) was a little too large and I could no longer stretch the lather hard enough to fit perfectly, that's where the imperfection came from and now I have a few very small ripples between the ash-tray and the shifter, nobody else will even notice, but it's not perfect
So my advise is NOT to precut any holes and to use an exacto knife (instead of scissors), it cuts through the leather like butter and makes the job so much easier compared to using scissors.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote