View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
husker boxster

You will need a LARGE pan to drain the oil in to. A Box contains 9 qrts of oil (most cars have 4.5), so you need something large to catch all that oil. I've got a pan that's 3' x 2' x 4" that I got at Menards. Many on the forum use the large circular pan that can be purchased at parts stores, but it can cause a problem because the center hole that allows the oil into the pan is a bit small and the oil drains so fast out of the Box it spills over the sides of the catch pan because the hole can't handle that much oil that fast.

I built a set of ramps from a 2x10. Started with a piece that is 10" long. Next section is 3" longer. I continue adding pieces each 3" longer until I have them stacked 4 high. Whatever you do for ramps, you'll need to back onto them. A Box will probably be too low to place the ramps in front of the rear tires and you may end up wrecking your rubber mud flaps. Plus there's more clearance with the shape of the bumper placing the ramps behind the wheels.

Some of the DIYs you want to tackle are pretty aggressive. An oil change is a simple one to start with. Since this sounds like it will be your first attempt at one, be sure to smear some oil on the new filter gasket band that comes with the filter and only hand tighten the filter canister when replacing it.

Doing your own work can be very satisfying. But hopefully you have a friend close by that you can lean on in case you have questions. Good luck.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote