View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
gschotland

I'd recommend a good "mechanics" starter tool kit from Sears (Craftsman). Their package deals can be pretty cost effective. Quality's quite good for a fairly serious DIYer, they offer a lifetime warranty no questions asked, and they're made in USA. Harbor Freight stuff will probably do the job, but I doubt it'll last or perform as well as Craftsman, and it's almost all made in China - by prison laborers. When I started out tinkering with cars 20 yrs ago I got some cheap stuff. After tiring of tools failing in the middle of projects, I switched to Craftsman and have had minimal problems since.

Get a wide range of 3/8" drive metric sockets (something like 8mm-18mm), a standard ratchet plus a bit one longer, and a range of extensions. A set of open end wrenches (again ~8-18mm) are always good to have. A couple of kinds of Vice Grips, a range of flat & Philips screwdrivers are always useful. If you've got a Sears not too far away, you can always run over to add more specialized toys - I mean tools - to your collection as needed, or you can get very quick delivery by ordering online.

I've given up on heavy metal and junky plastic tool boxes and recently got one of these: http://www.vetopropac.com/ They're pricey but quality's excellent; pretty much bullet proof. Layout's great, too.

Last edited by gschotland; 01-20-2010 at 04:47 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote