View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
sasha055

Tools for DIY projects

Hi,

I'm a proud owner of my new 2000 Boxster with 65k on it.
I have no history about car (I know it not recommended) but it was cheap and my wife agreed with purchase

Buyer inspection said car is in good condition and I love the look and feel of my new baby!

I spent last week browsing 986forum and getting used to drive the car.

I want to do some DIY projects (seems very easy from pictures at pedro's garage)
There are 2 problems though:
1. I'm a complete noob in cars, I never saw the engine of my lexus rx330 and it took me 2 hours to change the battery myself
2. I have absolutely no tools, except small screwdrivers and computer hardware analytic tools

I need some advice on what tools should I buy, also links to where to buy would be nice (I have no idea what hex bits are and whats the difference between wrench and torque wrench)

Here's the list of DIY projects:
1. Changing oil. My head hurts from reading about what oil is better. What filter should I use? where do I drain the oil? do I need a bucket? What should I use to keep the car raised up?

2. Changing Spark Plugs. What tools do I need for that? How do I check if Spark Plugs are Iridium, platinum.. etc (websites that sell them do not state what kind it is)

3. Changing Timing belt. Looked pretty easy from images at Pedro's garage.. do I need special tools? How do I know that I tightened it enough?

4. Changing Fuel filter. Again looked easy..

If after all this both me and the car are alive.. I'm gonna move to other things.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I shoud've bought this car a loooong time ago!
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote