View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #27
greg9ball

The direction of this post took a direction other than I intended, which of course is fine. It has been an interesting thread.

What I was hoping to discuss was to compare the 987 (or 986 - there was no offense intended to the 986. I haven't driven one so I have no opinion of it in a meaningful way) to the 911 993.

The 993 has become a highly desirable car. I know that a lot of the appeal is that it is the last of the air cooled engines. The 993 is not necessarily a classic yet; however, a lot of people are buying the 993s instead of the now less expensive 996s. There was just something special about the 993 that future 911s have not captured, despite improvements in performance. There is something special about the 993 that transcends specifications and performance.

My question was meant to ask if the current Boxster 987 (or 986) is that type of car. Is the Boxster really special? I'm not asking what it will be worth 40 years from now. Will it be the car that we think back of as a really special car. Will it be the car we wished we never sold? Will it be the car that a few years from now, Porsche fanatics find more appealing then than they do now?

I think it truly is a special car. I think we are nearing the end of an error for sports cars, just like the beginning of the 70's. It will not surprise me if over the next five years, we start to see HP specifications go down with new models instead of up. Most people didn't know they owned a special car in the late 60's / early 70's. A lot of 993 owners upgraded to 996's and now wish they had never sold their 993s.

I've been a car jumper for several years. I've jumped from car to car from the following cars: Q45, Acura CL type S, Honda S2000, 2002 Corvette, Lexus SC430 to the 2005 Boxster S. The Boxster S is the first car that I have owned where I wasn't looking for the next car within a year. I've owned it two years. When the itch to get something different finally kicked in, I just couldn't figure out what I would want instead. I'd still trade my Boxster for a 993 Turbo, but I'm not willing to pay 30K more for it! It was after this exercise of trying to decide what I would want to own next, that I decided that there really is something special about the Boxster.

Someone said in a post on this forum, that the Boxster was just a stop on the way in his quest for cars. It wasn't a "destination." I've come to the conclusion, after two years of ownership, that perhaps the Boxster S is a destination for me. I really love this car! It is such a great balance of everything I want in a car (except that my drums don't fit!).

In fact, I decided when I bought it that I would not upgrade the stereo for a year, just in case I decided I wanted something different. After a year, I thought about putting in a stereo. I knew I loved the car, but I was still worried that I might become fickle again. Its been two years and I love the car more than ever. I'm putting a ring on the boxster's finger with a stereo upgrade!

I was wondering of others felt the same way.

Greg
greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote