View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
stiles_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg9ball
I currently own a 2005 Boxster S and a 2001 Miata that has been turbo charged and set up for the track (though it is street legal and makes a very fun daily driver). I truly love both cars. I feel very spoiled to have both cars. I think my wife agrees that I am spoiled to own both cars!

If I had to choose one car, it would be the Boxster S because it is such a tremendous balance of sport, comfort and refinement. It feels like it was crafted out of granite. It is truly a wonderful car.

My Miata is 100% fun in a way that the Boxster just can not duplicate. It has 240 hp at the rear wheels with somewhere over 200 lbs of torque. It is a little quicker than the Boxster, but it feels WAY QUICKER! The first reaction that everyone has when driving my Miata is "Holy ****************". When the turbo kicks in (which is just about always), you just can't stop grinning! It feels faster than it is which I really like. The Miata is no where near as refined as Boxster. It feels a lot like a go cart. It also feels way smaller and lighter (which of course it is)

My Miata is set up for the track with a roll bar, coil overs, taller gearing for the rear end, track pads, etc. The Boxster S's I've run up against at the track simply can not keep up. I'm really tempted to bring my Boxster S to the track some day. I just know it will be a blast. I love the way the Boxster rotates and the Chassis is so sweet.

I like the toy vs. tool analogy. It is pretty accurate.

I like to make a comparison of my smile from one car to the other. When I'm driving the Boxster S, I have the smile of someone who is enjoying fine wine (or anything else that make you feel like you are experiencing excellence.) When I'm driving the Miata, I have the silly smile of kid on a roller coaster.

They are completely different experiences. The Boxster temps you to drive hard, but the Miata begs you!
Good to hear from someone else who has experience w/an F/I Miata. I had a '00 w/an FM2 turbo setup (sounds a lot like yours). For a time I had it and an '03 996 c2 side-by-side. The Miata was far more fun @ legal speeds, and I actually think it could have beaten the 996 to 60-70mph. Turbo Miatae are incredibly fun.

I now have an '08 987s. Much more mature feeling car, as others have said. Brings back a bit of the sense of accessible performance the Miata had, but not all. I do long for the zany sleeper performance that the F/I Miata provided.
ex: 03 996c2
stiles_s is offline   Reply With Quote