Thread: Blown Engine
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #39
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0214
I calle flat6 innovations to order the retrofit kit for my 2002 boxter 2.7 and the guy told me that even if I changed the IMS bearing in my car since my engine has 80,000 miles on in I still have the problem of a pisible cilinder wall crack and he said he has not seen many M96 engines pass the 100000 miles and he said it happens more on the 99 models!! how true it??????
Tony, I think you need to take a deep breath and relax a bit. Many people with Boxsters never have any issues at all with their engines. I have had my car for 8yrs now, and the only thing that has broken on me was a coolant tank that cracked which needed replacing (dealer replaced on warranty for free), a peeling radio knob (also replaced on warranty), a worn motor mount (easy replacement), and a water pump that needed replacing at 60k miles. I have had no engine problems whatsover, and I have only changed my oil at 12-15k intervals, and have used only Mobil 0W-40 motor oil.

If you are that worried about your engine imploding (and you shouldn't be), then you can have the LN Engineering IMS bolt retrofit done, but do realize that many people never have these updates done to their cars, and yet, their cars still make it over 100K miles. Don't let people scare you into thinking you have to do so many upgrades on your car. Even if your engine does implode one day, you can always source a used engine, and then have an LN engineering IMS bolt retrofit added onto it before dropping it in your car. In the meantime, I suggest you just continue driving and enjoying your car, and don't let the horror stories you read about come in the way of you enjoying your car.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote