Thread: misfire 4,5,6
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
gschotland

Sounds like your MAF is likely shot, but that doesn't rule out the 02 sensors. Mike Focke's MAF step by step is superb.

One O2 sensor in my '02 S went at just 64k miles (got check engine light) when my brother owned the car; 60-75k isn't uncommon. I read in this forum that it's best to change all four at once, so I changed out the other 3 at 68k miles even though I wasn't getting any codes. BIG improvement in idle smoothness and driveability. With 74k miles, your O2 sensors are likely on the way out even if they're not flashing CELs.

You might want to try ************************************************************ for the MAF, as they seem to have the lowest price. They show OEM type O2 sensors for the '99 for $100.97, and the air mass sensor for $161.48 or $217.22, depending on the part number you require. I imagine these prices are far lower than what you can get them for in Glasgow.

It's possible to get universal O2 sensors without OEM type plugs for substantially less, but I'd recommend against that in your case because if the connections you make aren't just right you'll have problems. "Plug and play" is the safe bet for the inexperienced DIYer (like me). Even with 4 sensors the savings isn't worth it IMO.

Last edited by gschotland; 12-04-2009 at 02:27 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote