View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #24
Aron in Toronto

As others have said you can always offer a lower price and and if the seller refuses, you can always walk, then come back a week later and raise your offer or meet him at his price, assuming no one else picks it up. He might even be the one picking up up the phone to call you.

I bought a pre-owned daily driver last week and in my case I was undecided between buying new or slightly used. This worked to my advantage, as the seller needed a buyer more than I needed to buy his car. I was firm on my offer and he kept calling me back, dropping his price each time until he was at my original offer. In the end I bought the car at 50% of what he paid for it new 2 years ago.

On the other hand (there's always another hand), it's a lot of car for $10.1k. I happen to have a '97 w/ ~35k mi and I'd have to be in pretty bad shape to let it go for that price.

I'd give him a week and see if he softens up on his price, if not I'd probably go ahead and buy it assuming it is the one you really like, and you don't find something better in the meantime.

Last edited by Aron in Toronto; 11-17-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Aron in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote