View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Do not change the rims... keep those old school. I can understand most of the mods that you've done... except for the electronic ignition... just too fangled complicated. Nothings wrong with points and condensors.

And I wonder how many of our members have changed points?

It does look good.

Thanks... Yea, I do love the 'steelies'. Next summer I'll have them media blasted and then 2 cans of Wurth Silver and one of Clear and they'll be like new. The tires are only 13" - I got a new set of 4 Pirellis for $240 for all 4 - mounted, balanced - the price of 1 Boxster tire.

The Crane XR700 is an optical trigger - an IR LED shoots light across a gap with a 4-shutter wheel living under the rotor between the LED and a pick-up sensor. When the shutter wheel slot rotates past, the sensor picks up the light, and the 'box' triggers the coil. Nothing too new-fangled about it - mount the box, attach 3 wires - 1 to ground, the other two to either side of the coil and then plug in the sensor unit which lives in the dizzy (after setting it to TDC). Much better than a Hall Effect Pertronix because it's immune to irregularities such as worn distributor shaft bushings which will change the air gap and mess up the Hall Effect - almost like points bounce. This system means that you basically never have to open the distributor again, except to change the rotor every 40k mi. or so. There are guys I know who've gone 100k mi.+ with this system and never had the timing vary. The car starts much more like a modern car - less than 1 revolution. I've done lots of points and it was the technology for almost a century, but this is better.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 11-06-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote