View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #34
Gougoushu

I'm getting ready to re-install my Zeintop for the winter, making a few adjustments or painting items that are hard to reach once it's installed. I bought the "986" numerals for it as well, mostly because of the photos on this thread, and plan to install them too. Thanks, Pat, for posting them.

I can confirm that once you have your adjustments right, the Zeintop is easily removeable [with one or two helpers]. The clamshell and trunklid are also very easy to remove and replace. The job is about 15 minutes plus whatever time it takes to put the unused parts into storage.

A few points that are omitted from most Zeintop discusssions:

(1) there is an adjustment screw [a big torx screw; I don't know the size] beside each spinlock on the car [the "female" part of the spinlock connectors], which appears to allow about 1/4" up-and-down adjustment for hardtops. I'm going to try these to help level up the front of the ZT with the car while it is mounted. This might be easier than dealing with shims, which require removing the top.

(2) you cannot access the top of the engine with the Zeintop fitted. In order to work on the engine, you must have helpers on hand, remove the top, and then have a place to set it down. Also probably you'll need a gargage to store the car and top [or at least use tarps] while you're doing engine work. Therefore, you must plan accordingly; I did all my maintenance items beforehand. One option is to remove the softtop [might help avoid damage to the plastic window from being folded up all winter], which allows engine access obstructed by the top's cross-member, but that leaves an unattractive and fragile cavity where the top would go.

There are other little issues with these tops, but don't get me wrong, I'm happy with it. To me, it doesn't look like a Cayman as much as an exotic, vintage Porsche, and looks even better in person than in photos. I'll skip the Zeinvents, because I like the stock 986 intakes better than the 987s.

Last edited by Gougoushu; 11-19-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote