View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
Bladecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloystang07
I come from the mustang world where all you need is forged internals and a big supercharger or twin turbos and you can hit 1000hp easy. But a lot of porsches (not boxsters) i see are pushing some seriously high numbers too.
Man, Mustang owners love coming here and asking this very question.
Can someone please tell the Mustang owners that its pointless to compare Mustang hp numbers vs Boxster hp numbers.

Since Mustang owners think things are so simple, let me make the response as simple as I can:

Why are you comparing hp numbers between a Mustang V-8 vs a Boxster 6?

Do you not understand that your small V-6 engine is larger than any engine offered in a Boxster, ever? Why aren't you demanding Ford make that V-6 put out 300 hp? Hell, its a 4L engine. They should make it put out 350 hp, easily.

Your V-8 engines have 2 extra cylinders in comparison to the Boxster engine.
Its very easy to make more power when you slap on 2 extra cylinders, and nearly double the engine displacement.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is the engine location, and heat dispersal. The Boxster engine is in the center of the car, and adding a turbo or supercharger increases the engine temps quite dramatically. The engine is already teetering on the brink in stock form, yet you want to force in an extra 100-300 hp?

Don't you think that if it was cheap and easy to build 300 to 500 hp Boxsters, we would all be running around with them?

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote