View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
alloystang07

High Horsepower Boxsters

Hello,

I am new here and am very seriously considering getting a 2000-2002 boxster s as my next car in the near future. The one thing that i am concerned about is the fact that i am coming from a mustang and do enjoy a fast car with power. I have done alot of research on the m96 engines and have some questions.

Why is it that some stock porsche engines can hand 700+ hp out of the same design while the boxster engine has a problem reaching 300? I understand that most people who buy boxsters arn't looking for speed machines, but how can the engines be so similar and yet so vastly different in the amount of power that they are able to handle.

I come from the mustang world where all you need is forged internals and a big supercharger or twin turbos and you can hit 1000hp easy. But a lot of porsches (not boxsters) i see are pushing some seriously high numbers too. I see that the Raby engines are coming out with a 500hp turbo spec version in 2010. I applaud all of the work that i have seen Jake Raby do. But it seems like he has done way to much work for an engine that can only handle 500 hp. I understand that his main focus is on reliability, but some people like speed to, and with all of that research and development, 500 seems a little low to me.

I know a lot of people have seen porsches running in places like the Texas mile or eddie bello's porsche going down the 1/4 and laying down some fantastic times and speeds, so why is it so hard for these m96 boxster engines to make power?

I love the porsche design and i really want to get into a porsche because i would like to have a car that handles well, but i need some power to go with it. I know that the turbo engines are the ones makeing all the power, and that they are based off the gt1 engine. But why are the so different from the carerra engines that the boxster 3.2 engines are based off of? It would seem that all of the big power some porsches are making, some one would find a way to fit the crank and rods and such into a carerra engine/boxster engine?

Thanks in advance,
Cody
alloystang07 is offline   Reply With Quote