View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 12:35 PM   #15
eslai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I buy cars for a long period of ownership, especially dream cars like my Boxster. This is very dissappointing and now my plans must change.
I understand completely! I had my first car for ten years and I've had my Eclipse since 1999. I'm sure I'll be hanging on to the Boxster for a very long time as well, but I'm going to be getting an extended warranty for it that should cover the RMS issue...

...uh, right? I hope???

Just because you buy used doesn't mean you're completely left to your own devices, does it? And if you buy a sports car that you intend to keep for ten years, well I wouldn't think that buying a new engine somewhere within that timespan would be an unreasonable expenditure.

Eclipses had a problem with a phenomenon called "Crankwalk". Even though it was mainly an epidemic in the 1995 to 1996 model years, you still hear people talking about what a huge big deal it is. In reality the incidents were pretty far and few between as time went on, and any car made by any manufacturer can be the victim of premature thrust bearing wear.

My point with that story is that i think we can take the RMS issue as a worthy gamble. Maybe that's just my optimism, but I feel pretty confident about it.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote