Old 10-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #20
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
Blue200s,
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nailed, got me. So whats your take on %100 octane unleaded race fuel? Fortified with "Red-Bull" & "thunderbird" " or something of substance?

And as far as additives go, where does toulene rank? whats better?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So has no one figured out who blends the best stuff together? Also, if there adding bad cholesterol (additives) to make it 93, whats to keep them from adding bad cholesterol to 87 oct to make 91?

PK
I don't know exactly what's in Race Fuels like Sunco that makes them different, but I'd guess it's probably got alot less of the additives that are in normal gas. The higher percentage of fuel allows it to have more energy content. It also keeps it from cleaning your engine and shortens it's shelf life.

If all else were equal, there's no point in buying a gas for a higher octane rating than 93 (or 91 for us at higher altitude). Porsche's set the compression, ignition and valve timing to work most efficiently at 93 octane. Using a fuel with a higher octane rating doesn't gain anything. Having said that, if a race fuel has more energy content, you will get more torque from the engine. You will also increase stresses on components and increase the temperature of the engine and cooling system.

The additives in a particular gasoline are what make up the different grades/octanes. BP, for example, starts with the same base and adds different things to it to make it low, mid, or high grade. In fact, mid grade is a 50/50 mixture of low and high grade often mixed at the pump.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote