View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #28
onshore

De Snorkle

I've been reading this thread with some interest because I tried to de snorkle my '99 Boxster following the instructions you have posted here and couldn't get the snorkle to budge. I wiggled it and at one point had both feet on the car pulling on it but it wouldn't move an inch so I gave up. My mechanic wants me to put in a cold air intake system and he says it should come out if the intake system is to work correctly. All the reading I've done on the pros and cons are as varied as the experiences of the drivers. Some say an HP increase some say not, some say better sound some say your fuel system regulator will eventually compensate for the change and the sound goes back to normal. Although everything I've read about the snorkle goes along with the Swedes getting a knot in their shorts over the noise, and I'm no expert on air induction, it would seem to me that the tube shape of the snorkle would have an effect on air turbulance as the air is forced down the tunnel of it. It may even have the effect of increasing PSI on air entering the air filter box. It would be interesting to really see something definitive on this topic because although it has been widely discussed there doesn't seem to be any agreement on its benefits or drawbacks.