View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #12
Pilot2519j

Thumbs down Khumo/Marshall experience I rather forget

I just went through an experience with WTC in NY that I rather forget. I bring there the car for a wheel alignment and balancing since i was having a small vibration in the steering wheel. He said the Pilots it had were shot and dangerous and I had done plenty of business with him before so I took his word. I told him get me tires. He suggested Khumo and after all was said and done and I lost my temper I ended up with Pilot Rib which are POrsche OE tire. I did find out that these guys there could not balance a glass of water in their hands no less high performance tires.
I brought it to Porsche dealer and the manager graciously did the balancing at no charge. The young man that did the balancing gave me the littany of all the things WTC had done incorrectly, used the wrong weights, placed them incorrectly, used clip on on the Carrera alloy, in short my blood pressure went sky high. Moral of the story, the Boxster is a high performance car and Porsche recommends certain tires to obtain maximum efficiency from the car. Braking, wet and dry traction are all part of the mix. Our car is an expensive car and skimping on tires is not the wisest thing to do. Im not saying to burn your money away and not comparison shop but just remember the tires you use are ones that will have to stop very fast when you pounce on the brakes or hold you on the road on that sharp turn.