Thread: child safety
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Blue-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
I like your idea about cutting off the belt and plugging it into the "D" bar. Now you can find another seat but remember; the Boxster (or any other Porsche I think) does not incorporate the LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren). That system is the only way you'll have a totally secure child safety seat and then use it's four point harness, the Boxster's seat belt is never used.
I think that you may have a misunderstanding of the purpose of the LATCH system. This system was devised (and mandated on new vehicles built after September 2002) in order to provide an easier-to-use system for installing a child seat to a vehicle. It was felt that LATCH was necessary because many vehicle owners did not or could not install a child seat (particularly rear-facing infant seats) correctly as directed by the user's manual of the child seat itself. LATCH simply provides a standardized set of anchor points onto which the child seat attaches; the user still has to install, adjust and tension the straps on the child seat correctly. For much more detailed information, see: http://www.seatcheck.org/

Since some of the discussion in this thread seems to center on restraints for 5-9 year olds, it should also be understood that it's highly unlikely that a 5-year-old would still be using the harnesses that are built into some forward-facing child seats. This is because the upper weight limit on most of the child seat mounted harness belts is 40 pounds. For this reason, a 5-year-old would most likely be using a booster seat which restrains the child via the vehicle's seat belt. If you can coerce a 9-year-old into actually using a booster, they should absolutely not be using the harnesses that were built into the child seat, unless the child is exceptionally small and light . For exact information on the recommended belt usage with your child seat, see the user's manual that came with the child seat. It should be in the pouch or slot on the seat itself.

I just checked my 2000 Boxster and found that the passenger's seat belt is a dual-mode type: Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) for belt locking during frontal crashes, and Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) for easier child seat installation. You engage the ALR mode by pulling the belt webbing out fully and then allowing it to retract after routing the belt (correctly) through the child seat's attachment points. The ALR mode is when the belt "ratchets" while it is retracting. The ALR mode makes a seat belt locking clip unnecessary when installing a child safety seat in the vehicle using the vehicle's seat belt. The LATCH system simplifies the child safety seat installation process because the vehicle's seat belt is not used to secure the child seat. LATCH equipped or not, any child safety seat with an integrated harness must be attached to the car seat very firmly. You may want to cover the car's seat with a towel to protect the leather before you strap down the child safety seat. Loosely fitting the child safety seat to the car's seat is one of the most common mistakes seen at safety seat checks. Above all, read and follow the directions that come with the child safety seat!

Of course, you would still need the airbag disable kit to safely use a rear-facing infant seat in the 986 Boxster. I could not recommend pulling the airbag fuses to disable the system, because that defeats the entire system - driver's airbags included. The Bentley manual says that beginning with the 2003 model year, each seat belt retractor has a pyrotechnic device to remove slack from the belt when the front airbags deploy. Extra safety for you!

BTW -- The factory-installed LATCH anchor points are crash-tested. Any homebrew LATCH-like system will not be crash tested...unless you volunteer for that duty!

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *

Last edited by Blue-S; 09-15-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote