Thread: child safety
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Aron in Toronto

Chris,
I too take my 6 & 9 year olds with me in the Boxster with a Porsche child seat and deactivation bar, and share your opinion of the quality of the Porsche seat. I don’t know what model child seat you are using but mine is an early re-badged Britax seat. Britax has since discontinued this seat and replaced it with at least one if not two newer generations of this model with more head and neck protection and possibly other advancements as well.

You must consider that the 5 or 6 point racing type harness that I think you are referring to does not have the same recoil system that OE belts have that are designed to have some “give” or stretch. This may be a (big) disadvantage to your kids as the aftermarket harness is essentially adjusted snugly in a fixed state that doesn’t allow the users torso to move in the event of an accident and may concentrate greater forces to their (smaller/weaker) necks when their heads have any sudden movement. You must also make sure the shoulder belts are positioned correctly and don’t do more harm than good in the event of an accident.

I don’t know the specific details of seat belt design and am defiantly not an expert but this is one area that I will trust the designers of the factory system.

I’ve thought of buying a newer child seat for the safety updates and reusing the old airbag deactivation buckle.

There is probably lots of info on the web about how seatbelts are supposed to work with child occupants. I’m sure there are probably some legal issues with using an aftermarket system as well.