View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCarnivore
What are you using to drain the oil in? I will have to jack the car up to remove the drain plug then level it to the ground with a clearance of 4".
Be sure you have a BIG pan - there will be lots of oil coming out and at high speed. There was a thread earlier this summer talking about catch pans. It said the big pan you find in stores that can be sealed up tight to take to an oil recycler doesn't work well. The intake hole in the center of the pan (that can be sealed shut when done) is too small for the velocity of the oil, resulting in an oil spill where ever you're changing the oil. I use a big open pan and then transfer the old oil to other containers for recycling.

Jacking the car up - I built some ramps from a 2x10 and stacked them 4 high. I back onto them in my driveway and use the slope of the driveway to keep the car level. NEVER drive up ramps as it will catch the rubber gravel shield thingy in front of the rear wheel. Plus there probably won't be enough clearance to begin with to slide them under the body of your Box.

Also, be sure to note where the rubber gasket is on the oil filter cap. You'll need to replace it with the one provided with your new filter. And be sure to lube the new gasket with some oil before replacing the cap.

Have fun.

PS. I'll be in your neck of the woods the following week participating in the SAS Championships Pro-Am. I'm one of the Ams but after my birthday this yr am now old enough to be one of the Pros.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote