View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
Does anyone know if there is a relationship between the "age" of the bump and the ease with which it can be rectified?

If the paint remains "stressed" for an extended period it would seem it could be harder to repress cleanly. But maybe I'm underestimating modern metallurgy and paint technology.
------------------------------------------------------------
Thats a good question. I've wondered how "pros" handled that very issue. I used paint cars in my youth but so much has changed. Of hand I'd say if you heated it up with hairdryer, carefully, you would be O.K. But, but when I painted cars, for soft bumpers you used a "flexitive" additive to the paint and a special flexible primer. Obviously so the plastic could take a hit, expand and contract. etc. etc. anf the pain would not crack

It seems like they don't do that anymore. The last few times I had some repair work done, I asked about how they handled bumpers and they say now you use the same paint on everything. Which makees sense why not. That means that paint on your door, if it used the same type of paint tech. probably won't crack anymore than your bumpers will.

I don't know when they made that change but I do know over the years since I got out it , there have been allot of sea changes so I don't know what they were doing 3,5,10 years ago. I think your best chance of sucess would be with a little heat.

Regards, PK