View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #16
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
How could it possibly be off that much is shut down, not moved and previously in synch? I'm going to email your pal, work net was down all afternoon.

It may not be all that much off, but turning the crank is not the way to find that out. Think of the motor like a symphony of parts, when everything hits their mark, there's beautiful music, but when they are out of sync, the music (read performance) is awful and sometimes injurious to the parts.

We're on the internet here... you don't know me and I don't know you, your skill level or the actual positions of any of the various timing marks - only what you tell me. I'm not going to tell you anything which could injure your car. Would I turn my crank a degree of two - sure, but slowly with a socket and breaker bar trying to feel (as a safecracker would) what the internals are doing. At the slightest resistance, I'd stop. That's one reason I recommended you turn the crank rather than push the car in gear... you have no feel for what's going on until it's waay too late.

BTW, I'm not a friend of Mike Bouse, I've never met him. But, my late friend knew him or of him, and told me that he lived in MI and he would respond to emails sent to him on Fiat questions, plus I've seen his name mentioned - in some reverence - on some of the FIAT boards where he's offered to send procedures to those emailing him. I put it up here figuring it was worth a shot for you. I assume you probably already know this, but my friend also gave me the link to what he said was the best FIAT parts source in the country - C. Obert & Co. out in Cali - C. Obert & Co.

I don't have this stuff right at my fingertips, but in response to you, I went and reviewed a bunch of past correspondence and emails my late friend and I had exchanged through the years. It was kinda nice to be able to go back and re-read them and remember what good times we've had and what a truly good friend Owen was to me... R.I.P.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-04-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote