View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Cam cover is off, auxillary shaft was moved for sure, I have the Fiat crank tool made specially for turning the engine. What damage can the auxillary shaft do? I have not yet determined what it does, I was thinking oil pump. This car is a 1971 has 50,200 on it, no winters, I am now seriously concerned about the engine and I'm really not sure how to put this thing back together B, any other ideas?

The manual only says to recheck the timing after belt replacement, not how to correct any errors, or how to carefully do this. The bearing was rusted and ready to go, I'll be upset of I cause the demise of said engine trying to prevent the demise...

PS I think the pic you posted is a Eurospec, spiders didn't have round marker lights, they are rectangles in US form. assuming I don't wreck it, here's one of the best examples in the entire country.. I need to know the relationship of the crank pulley to the auxillary shaft timing mark, then I could just realign them, right?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee32/firesphotons2/fiat001.jpg
You may well be right about it being a euro-spec, IIRC it's a '78. Owen was in Int'l. commodities and frequently went to europe and brought back cars - he had an elise from germany which he brought back and did a Sun conversion to (Honda VTEC motor).

Which manual are you using? The Brooklands is OK and gives a step-by-step pictoral on swapping the T-belt and aligning it. Also, there are factory manuals available - Fiat Factory Manuals

Again, IIRC, each camshaft sprocket has a timing mark on the back and a corresponding timing mark on the camshaft housing. Each of those camshaft sprockets should align with the marks on the camshaft housings and the crankshaft timing mark should be at top dead center when # 4 piston is ready to fire. the auxiliary shaft has two marks that should point at approximately 1 o'clock, or towards the tensioner bolt. Here is a link to the factory manual diagram for T-belt replacement - It's for the 2.0L motor, but essentially the same: Fiat 2000 Timing Belt

The cam marks and crank pulley will also line up at #4 cylinder exhaust stroke as well - 4-stroke motor. Be certain not to misalign these settings as you risk poor performance and possibly valve damage. Crank the engine over at least two full strokes to assure that nothing is binding.

If you're real nice, there's a guy in MI who has all sort of instructions for timing on the spider named Mike Bouse. If you email him and introduce yourself, he may be able to better assist you than I because he has waay more experience with Fiats than I do - he's a member of FLU (Fiat Lancia Unlimited). Reach him at: mbouse@chartermi.net

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-04-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote