View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #12
mptoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
You might have a vacuum leak or your running lean for some other reason if the ping stops when you turn it of. If you know your way around your motor, you can squirt starter fluid (carefull with it) at all potential leak areas, hose ends and junctions...and hoses themselves if cracked, on the topside of motor. Listen for the engine for a short rev. 'bout a second after you squirt. If it does rev, that's a leak.

Running lean is not good.

Any mechanic can do this if you can get the hatch of the motor for then.

Regards, PK

I did that with some carb cleaner, but just around the throttle body and "T" connector, to make sure I re-assmebled them correctly after the throttle body cleaning. I might have to take a closer look underneath and around the sides of the motor. I do smell a gas rich odor after I start the car up in the garage and it seemed I was getting worse gas mileage. I noticed the mileage and the smell before I desnorkled. My mileage was around 26 to 29 on my ride home from cali with the top up, but that was all highway mileage. I now get around 20 to 21 mpg, but most is city and I almost always have the top down(but no ac on) and I was getting on it in the twisties. I also ran some techron fuel system cleaner for a while. I don't know if that effects MPG and would account for the smell.

I might try the fuel filter change to see if that helps.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote