Thread: Water Pump
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
jmatta

In all sincerity, why would Porsche knowingly put a thermostat in that they must know (if you do) is much hotter and is therefore going shorten the engines life ?( As if the motor wasn't a bit of a disaster as it was.) And if it's running at 210, why not say so instead off consciously papering over the dash gauge to read 180?.

Do you think they play the same hi-jinx with the GT and turbos that, as is stated in this thread , are supposedly running at 140?

Also , cooler oil sounds nice (especially on a hot day (grin)) but what difference dose it make...it breaks down sooner and might be harder on rubber seals but what else that isn't compensated for? These things have a pretty aggressive oil change regiment which should mitigate any oil degradation, and rubber seals arn't your fathers

This isn't rhetorical and I'm not being a smart a__, I'm truly curious.

Regards, PK
Well, 60% of the heat produced in the engine (and some of the most critical heat, think bearings) is carried away by the oil, not the coolant.

In the Boxster, the heat exchanger transfers much of that heat from the oil to the coolant which dispels it from the radiators.

So, if the coolant runs lower temps, it does a better job of aiding the oil in shedding the heat.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote