View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Bladecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
With many threads on various M96 engine problems and alternative engine conversions to eliminate IMS issues and enhance performance, has anyone tried or thought about installing an air cooled 993 engine into a Boxster? I tried the search on this forum and googled many times but could not find any information about this. With so many engine and transmission configurations available for the 914, with the air cooled 3.6 being one of them, one would think this is a viable option. It would make for a more reliable car, more power and better performance due to lighter weight. No issues with leaking coolant tanks and no radiator hassles.
Maybe I'm way out in left field, I've never done an engine conversion on a Porsche. Aside from emissions problems in states like California, would this work?
The very first issue that springs to mind about trying to do that conversion is the fact that there isn't much airflow around the engine in the middle of the car.

I believe that if you attempted that swap, you would cook the engine on the first drive.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote