View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
MikenOH

Garage
Adam--a few comments..

I've had these tires on our 987 in 245/35/18 and 275/35/18 sizes off and on since May. I won these at a club DE last year.

I've done one auto-x and 2 DE's with them.

A few observations:

-I like these sizes on the 2.7L model since it lowers the effective gearing because these are about .6" smaller OD than the stock tires.

-These tires have lot of grip; when hot, they break loose but the slide is very controllable--a very easy tire to drive fast on. Have to say before they got heated up, the combination of these tires and XP8 carbotechs had me braking way early for turn 7 at MidOH.

-Tread wear: I went from 10/32 to 7/32 on the fronts at the 2 day DE; wear was very even. Overall, I think the 9-10/32 tread depth on some of these sizes is a bit much considering the market they are appealing to.

-Tire pressure: I'm thinking these tires like pressures under 40PSI--hot At 38/40 (f/r) the wear was very even, but even then I wasn't quite getting to the little triangles on the side that indicate the how much rollover you're getting; 36/38 might be better.

-In the wet: I drove home in the rain on them about 90 miles and they were OK, but I've heard reports that they can be tricky.

-Noise: Initially, very quiet. after the 2 day DE I could hear them. I'm glad I've got the GY Asym F1's for everyday use.

Overall, I think these are a good value auto-x/DE tire for the Boxster. I don't think I'd want them as an everyday tire after a couple of DE's.

One last thing, wear--given the amount of wear so far i see these lasting one full DE season or say 5 2 day DE's.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote