View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Adam, be sure to come back to this thread and report on how they're wearing, the grip they provide, and of most interest to me, if they "wagon wheel" when cold like the Kuhmo's I had on my boxster after I first purchased it.

Those Kumho's sucked. I swore I'd never buy the brand again, but I'd love you to prove to me I was wrong and I need to eat those words. My wallet would thank you profusely.
The grip should be exceptionally high. I can already tell taking a few on/off ramps that these things stick very well. Tire Rack indepently tested these tires with a standard BMW 3 and they got 1.02 G's on the skid pad....highest they've ever had with a street tire. With a real sports car like the Boxster I expect that number to be even higher. I've noticed they pick up sand and gravel off the road quite a bit more than the PS2's. Their tread wear rating is 180 compared to 220 on the PS2's so I know they won't last as long. If I get two seasons or 10,000 miles out of them I'll be happy. This tire should be ideal for someone doing weekend autocross/track, but also drives on the street and doesn't want to invest in a trailer, 2nd set of wheels, or new tires every 6 months.

You probably had the old Kuhmo MX tires. Those things weren't all that great and didn't really do anything well, but the price was good. These XS are light years better in the performance dept. By "wagon wheel" are you referring to flat spotting when sitting? I'll note that as well. This XS tire also reportedly doesn't do well in the rain so some people would have to take that into consideration....luckily I don't drive the car much in the rain and I doubt you do down in Houston. Also, you shouldn't drive them in sub freezing temps like most performance tires. I think these tires will wear out too quickly for some, and they're not for everyone, but if your needs are similar to mine then I think you'll be very pleased. I'll report back once I get some more miles on them.

Last edited by Adam; 08-26-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote