View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #29
987gator

I too am a former MRS owner, a 2000. My thoughts echo the other owners, but I will add a few tid bits (if these are repeats, I apologize, I scanned some of the responses).

I have had the opportunity to track both the MRS and my 05 Boxster. The MRS was alot of fun, being so light you could out brake nearly every car on the track. And it had decent power to around 100 mph. The MRS may hit 115 where the Boxster my hit 128 on a straight. But it behaved more like an older 911 than a Boxster in the handling department, since it is nearly a rear engined car. My only spins on a track were in the Toyota. A few friends said the Toyota was very easy to steer with the brake pedal, that skill set is beyond me, I just took their word for it. The Boxster is a joy on the track. It makes it so easy to drive fast on the track. I truly am amazed by the car whenever I drive it. Hands down, Boxster wins this one (as it should due to its cost).

With regards to reliability, the MRS had bearing starvation issues if tracked with slicks. People developed new oil pans, remote oil sump pumps and such. It was also imperative to scrap the stock manifold and install a header in its place, as the manifold precats would break apart and cause the engine to fail. The only silver lining is a used engine is $1200, compared to $12,000 with a Boxster. Advantage, Toyota.

Comfortwise, I had a Toyota TRD Sportivo suspension on mine, and it got to the point that I hated driving the car on the street. And it had 2 cubic feet of storage space compared to 10+ I think on the Boxster. The Boxster is head and shoulders above the Toyo in ride quality, fit and finish, audio sound, and cabin room.

So, I know I have a 987 and you are looking at a 986, but in either case, I think the MR2 Spyder will make one always wish they had sprung for the Boxster. But the MR2 is not a bad car. Of course I ended up selling the MR2 and buying the Boxster.
987gator is offline   Reply With Quote