View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #16
roadracer311

Great posts Brad. I like the first hand knowledge you bring to these discussions.

Another thing I can add to the discussion of why the mechanic charges $100 per hour: I work on motorcycles all day (and I have a physics degree, for what that's worth), but it would be an extrordinary day if I billed out even 5 hours of labor. I'm at the shop about 10 hours a day. So even without overhead, I'm already down about 50%. We keep the overhead low by not having any employees (no workman's comp, etc.), but that also means no paid days off, no sick leave etc. So anyone whose salary is equivalent to $100 per hour, is probably making closer to $140 once benefits are accounted for.

If I wasn't doing all of my own wrenching, I would definitely try to develop a good relationship with a local indi mechanic. That way, when you have a problem, you just take it to them and get it sorted, and feel good about it. The time saved shopping around each time will be worth the investment in getting to know a shop you can trust.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote