View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
cnavarro

The 2.5 to 2.9 is a great engine, I can vouch as my wife's track boxster has one. It's tough as nails - it basically has been at every PCA autocross and DE event all season and other than a broken valve spring before Road America (no fault of Jake's - it was a new Porsche OE spring), it's knock on wood reliable.

On top of the time my wife spends driving it, I've had other instructors drive it in separate run groups to purposefully beat the crap out of the car, racking up hundreds of track miles every weekend.

But... all things considered, if you can get a 3.2 to start from, it would probably be cheaper and provide more bang for the buck than starting with the 2.5.

I just finished making up new MLS head gaskets to allow increasing the deck by .010" (these engines run a .027-.033" deck from the factory) to lower the compression, for turbo conversions. That and also because the lowest compression JE can make is about a 9.5:1 off their current FSR forgings, so something more is needed to get the compression down to run a meaningful amount of boost (to justify the cost of doing the turbo in the first place).
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote