View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
mptoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoli
mptoledo, have you used the same speakers for dash and rears?

I find it difficult to believe that the jvc headunit with its integrated amp is better than the p-amp... If that's the case why using an amp anyway???? And makes you wonder... was Porsche saving money by selling the cars with such a crappy sound system???

Back to my original post...

I have chosen this amp because of its small size and thinking that the 75 watts should be fine. I will check on your suggestions though.
But you did not answer any of my questions yet. And now I have one more

1a) I guess I'll split the one woofer output and drive it to the door speakers. Right?
1b) Do I need speakers or just woofers for the doors?

2a) Thie Infinity Kappa Five has on-board variable electronic crossovers. Is that common among other amps?
2b) Heaving on-board crossovers means that I don't need crossovers for the speakers (especially for the woofers?)

No, different speakers.
dash= Infin Kappa 4"
rears(first try) Kappa 6x4, beautiful sound but i couldn't get them to fit
rears(2nd try) I am ordering 1 pair of Kappa 3 1/2"( I may go with 2 on each side down the road depending on how I like the sound.

I bought some 3 1/2 infinity reference series at Best buy today. They are 2/16 of an inch smaller than the kappas. Either will fit in the stock rear mounting brackets. I can fit 2 if so desired.

Re amp: Can't say for sure if the amp sucks. I have never wired a stereo. I will do some research this weekend after I read the amp/jvc wiring diagram. I can figure out just about anything given time and help.

Short of it, if what the best buy installer tells me is correct and the rears are wired to the jvc head unit(kd-hdr50= 50wats X 4ch). Stock amp=40x4ch, wich is 10w less per chan than radio, hence radio is making the rears sound louder and better. I may just bypass amp and see how it sounds with head unit alone, (this weekend after I study the diagram). Seeing I have all the harnesses, disabling the amp shouldn't be too hard(hopefully).

YOUR QUESTIONS.
1.) doors= subs, but share a common gound with dash speakers. This is beyond my pay grade, so far. It may need re-wiring the doors and the dash so be prepared. kind of why i am leaving them alone.

2.)Cant answer this one. The kappas I bought have crossovers on the wires.

I seriously doubt you need an amp but its up to you. I had my kappas 4" and 6x4" running on my jvc today @ 40 out of 50 volume, and it was loud (with the top down)!! Crytal clear but loud. I have klipsch ref series hooked to marantz seperates for my home theater/entertainmetn. I like my music loud, clean and clear!! I strive for perfect reproduction on a budget. My car is damn close to it.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-13-2009 at 06:39 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote