View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
mptoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
mptoledo - you say that you kept the stock speakers and amp... did you have one of the OEM amplifiers that is mounted in the front trunk near the spare tire?? did this strereo work wtih that amp?
i had considered upgrading my head unit to aftermarket, with oe like you bought, but someone on this forum had warned that our OEM amps often woudl not work, and then I'd be potentially buyign a stereo and another amp...and to me, it wasn't worth spending several hundred bucks when I have the top down most of the time and I"m just listening to my exhaust/intake... BUT, if I truly can just swap out my head unit for about $200/installed - and get something that will work with my OEM amp,a nd get a LOT better sound quality - I'd be interested!!
I too have rear speakers...the former owner put in the OEM rear speaker kit...so I have two little speakers behind each seat....
thanks for the info! as far as you know is the stock amp working with your new headunit???
First off: Clean out your mailbox, I can't return your PM is says you have exceeded your limit. check the old ones and hit delete, gotta do it for sent ones too.

Yes the amp works fine with the JVC. the best buy guy did have to do a little extra to wire it. He did wire it to rears and "maybe" the door speakers. I am going back tomorrow and see if he can just do the fonts and back. I have been told its a 4 chan amp.

The jvc hd50??? lets you change colors to match your Boxsters interiors lights. It is a good deck. A few cons. Still don't get great reception, fm presets are difficult to figure out at first. other than that it is pretty cool.

Speakers: I have updated all my speakers(except the doors maybe later) Here is the link.

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21452&page=2&pp=20

I got the fronts in and they sound AWESOME!! Infinity Kappas 4". I used a roto zip and cut the middle out of the existing stock harness(front) and they fit in pretty good. Now it looks stock(doesn't sound stock). I paid $70 for amazon. the boxster stock speakers are garbage. Who the hell came up with the idea to use paper cones in a convertible?

MY 2 cents!! Get at least the 4" kappa fronts. it makes a world of difference.

Drop me a PM if you get the stereo. I have some hints to really make it sound good. hold menu go to "eq" goto "user" hold down and then you can start the real fun. HIGHS, MIDs, SUBs,amp gain,.... The presets for rock, jazz, pop,... sound like crap!! Really even with the new speakers I was getting pissed off. The user setting were like night and day.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-12-2009 at 12:27 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote