View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
23109VC

mptoledo is right. this economy is on your side if you are buying.

you can steal these cars. the market for two seater used porsches stinks. I've seen some boxters listed for sale NOW that were for sale when I bought my car SIX MONTHS ago.... seriously.. and these are nice cars that I'd like to buy... it's just a hard time to be selling this type of car.

you should be able to get an S now, for wha ta base used to sell for. I bought a base...but my deal was from dad...and my situation was unique. if I was buuying right now, on the open market, and not getting a famly members car at a good deal, I would hold out for an S. nothing wrong with a base - I have one and love it and it is still a blast to drive and plenty fast... but if you can get an S for the same money, whynot.

if you want to go cheaper, no reason why you couldn't get a nicely optioned base and get it even cheaper, or go newer/lower m iles.

if you COULD, I would consider getting an 03/04 instead of a 2000'ish if you could afford it. a lot of nice changes in 03 that you will appreicate once you buy 2000 and wish you had the changes..like the glass rear window! the rear end looks nicer on the 03+ too.

i might consider a base 03 intead of a 2000 S. the 03s have 10more hp than the 2000-2002 bases..i think it's 228...whereas the 2000 S is 258...so you're still lower on power than an older S, butnot a ton. try them all and see what you like. if you love the extra power of the S get it..if you like it but don't "have to have it", save money or go newer/lower miles for the same money and ger ta base. there's no right or wrong, it all depends on you, your needs, your budget, etc.

get PPI. you HAVE to do that. I did one and I bought the car from my dad. Not b/c I didn't trust him, but there is stuff that can go wrong that even the seller might not know about and you don't want to find out the hard way after you drive off in it and then have problems.

odds are you won't buy a warranty if you get an older car. once you price them you will not want to get one. so ge tit checked out ahead of time and have peace of mind that you bought a good one.

the boxster is a great car. i cross shoppped a lot of other "fun cars". liek the s2k, RX8 and none of them had the combination of looks,h andling, fun, for hte money.

good luck!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote