View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #20
mikefocke

I hate to tell you folks but it is working

Bruce's relative is getting 8MPG more. She spends her money, the dealer pays his salesguy, the salesguy feels good and buys a home. The money spins through the economy and everybody starts to feel normal times are a possibility and they start spending.

I see the new car across the street and I buy a new car because it is now socially acceptable to buy a car...I always could but I didn't want to be seen as one of the rich guys while others were suffering and I was saving my $ because I wasn't sure...and I don't qualify for the rebate but buy anyway and my money goes spinning through the economy.

And the cars that they are taking in are a glut on the market already. The used car lots I see are already full of precisely those cars and, by taking thousands out of the available market, they actually help the value of those still there. There will still be a lot of these cars available for those who need them because of their financial ability to spend and because of their family circumstances (my mini-van did 90k miles going back and forth to colleges with kids and their stuff and then I didn't need it any more and bought that higher-mileage Porsche Boxster)

And when I talk to people in the auto parts making business they see orders picking up, people being put on full time, people being hired and even an occasional shift being restarted. And a company or two saved....

without the governemnt owing anything or dictating which car you can buy.

At one time I owned a Dodge mini-van made in Ontario, a VW Jetta made in Mexico and a Mazda (partially owned by Ford) made in Michigan by UAW workers with 85% US parts content. I couldn't tell how I was to tell what the import was. But each was bought and serviced at a US dealership.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote