View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Jaxonalden

Garage
I'd like to know where your mechanic came up with the notion that sucking in hot air was some how damaging your engine? Education is a wonderful thing.

The only thing the hot air is doing is cutting down on the power your engine is making. Hot air (O2) molecules are expanded and you get less of them in the cylinder on the intake stroke. That's why the trick is to draw in the coldest air possible, in which the same O2 molecules are closer together (dense). More O2 + more fuel = more power.

That's the reason nitrous oxide (N2O) is such a great (and cheap) power adder. It's molecule is made up of 1 nitrogen and 2 oxygen molecules. During the combustion process the N2O molecule is broken down and the O2 is released. That added O2 combined with extra fuel that's injected produces allot of power. It is hard on the engine though.

I also have an EVO intake installed on my car. A properly installed and properly maintained EVO system will not damage your car and will provide more airflow into the engine because it is not as restrictive as the stock intake.